We are looking for an assistant teacher to work at Kalajoen Lukio.
Assistant Teaching Position (Finland)
Experience Finnish education at all levels and be part of an internationally focused school!
We are looking for someone with the energy, ideas and motivation to bring something new to our school and help further our international activities!
Primary duties of the position
- Working with a number of schools in the municipality with a focus on the Kalajoki Upper secondary high school.
- Teaching primarily in two schools, first ‘Comprehensive school upper level’ (ages 13-16 grades 7-9) and the second is the ‘Upper Secondary High School’ (16-18+).
- Planning and teaching of an ‘International studies course’ in the Kalajoen Lukio – Upper secondary high school – (project based learning focused)
- Assisting with elective courses as part of the “International Studies Line” in the Kalajoen Lukio Upper secondary high school.
- Assisting with a number of local schools in the municipality ranging from elementary up
- Organizing an “International studies” and “Erasmus+” club in Junior high school.
- Take part in Erasmus+ KA2 international education projects.
- Marketing the Erasmus+ and other international activities to students
- Assisting with the international project management
In addition candidates will:
- Provide language courses for Finnish teachers.
- Take part in extracurricular activities, such as international student exchanges.
- Teaching and assisting in a variety of other subjects and schools in the area.
- The school will make every effort to help enrich your experience through mixing with the local community, if you are keen on the outdoors, cross country skiing and ice swimming are available.
- The working language will be English, Finnish language skills are not necessary.
- You will receive a monthly salary and the school will help to organise accommodation (at your expense – this could be an apartment or with a host family) and general set up services in Kalajoki. You will be required to cover all costs including airfares.
- The position will ideally be for one Finnish academic year starting around August 2021.
- We are looking for someone who can bring fresh ideas to the schools and positively influence the students and teachers.
- You will be outwardly friendly, enthusiastic, open to new opportunities and willing to contribute to the sustained future of the schools.
- You will be able to work independently and use your own innovation and ideas throughout the course of your time at the schools.
- Teaching experience is not required although it would be beneficial, however, you will need to be able to plan and conduct classes and activities as the need arises.
- This is an ideal position for a recent graduate looking for some global experience working in a beautiful but rural environment.
- As you will be supporting teachers in the classroom whose first language is not English, you will require an exceptionally high level of written and verbal English.
Application closes: 30th of April 2021
Commences: August/early Sept 2021 – dependent on the COVID -19 situation
Contract Type: Temporary, 1-2 years
Contract Hours: Full Time
Remuneration/ Pay rate: 1900 euros per month.
For further information and to apply please send a CV and 2 minute video profile to Jan Franko at: email@example.com by 30th of April, 2021.
2 minute video profile
Please address the following points in your video profile:
- What experience do you have working with young people?
- Have you any experience in international education?
- How do you feel your experience meets the criteria of this position, provide some details.
Note – the video profile can be as simple or as complicated as you wish, the purpose is not to examine your video editing skills but catch a glimpse of your personality! Please send a link to the location of the video, do not send the actual file.
Jan Franko, Manager of International Affairs
Phone: +358 44 4691 226, email: firstname.lastname@example.org