The school social worker assists and supports pupils and students and their families with the means of social work. You can turn to a school social worker for help when a child or young person has problems with school attendance, relationships with friends or when he or she is undergoing changes in his or her life that also affect school attendance.

Parents can also discuss matters related to the family with a school social worker. Problem situations are solved together with the parents and, if necessary, other adults at the school. Cooperation is also carried out with child welfare services, the family counselling centre and health care services as necessary. All comprehensive schools and secondary level educational institutions in the city employ a school social worker.

The school social worker can be contacted by the guardian, teacher or the pupil or student him or herself.